Sunday, August 8, 2010

Starting with Seedlings

Hello. I am one of the three children writing in this gardening blog. I am the only son out of the three. When the three of us children started to grow plants, I wasn't the first one. It all started with my older sister, who is now a senior in highschool. She decided to plant some plants to sell at farmer's markets. She decided to plant succulants, which are like cactuses, but without the thorns, so we got a lot of pots, and our mom taught her how to plant succulants. When I saw the succulants in all those pots, I decided I wanted to grow something to, so I looked around the garden and remembered our Japanese Maple in the middle of our backyard. This Japanes Maple is a variety known as Acer palmatum, a green variety of the tree. Around the base of the tree, there were dozens of seedlings just starting to grow, so I took some of the many leftover pots from my sister's stash, and, with the help of my mom, I started to put the Japanese Maples into pots and trays.That day, I planted two trays of plants, with each tray holding 15 plants. I would have planted more, but we had run out of soil, so two days later, we got more soil, and I was able to plant 3 more trays of plants, leaving me with 75 Japanese Maple seedlings
which I water twice a day. Having seen me and my older sister both start potting plants, my younger sister decided to start propogating plants as well. My older sister now has potted four or five types of succulants and two trays of mint, I have my Japanese Maples, and my little sister has potted one tray of Christmas Cactuses. Along with this, we have one tray of chives that we all help take care of. This gave us the idea to start a blog, which is the one you are reading now. Along the way in this blog, you may here us talk of how our plants are doing, what problems we are having with them, and some new plants that we will pot (after we get more pots to put them in).


No comments:

Post a Comment